Why Are Rats So Hard To Get Rid Of In Longview?
In Texas, rats can be a year-round problem for many homeowners. If these pesky rodents get the chance to come into your home, they can cause a lot of damage and even cause you and your family to become ill. Luckily, at Gecko Pest Control, we know how to get rid of the rats in your home and keep them from ever coming back. We have been providing pest control in Longview for over 20 years and understand the unique behaviors of the rats commonly found in this area.
How To Tell If Its Rats On Your Property
Rats are elusive animals that will do everything in their power to stay out of sight. If you do not see any rats in your house or around your property, there are still a few things to look for that can determine if they are around. Some of the telltale signs of a rat infestation include:
- Rat droppings: These dark, oval-shaped droppings are around 1/2 an inch long.
- Holes in the ground and around your home: These rodents will burrow into the ground to escape the frigid outdoor temperatures. Rats will also chew holes in the walls to enter your house.
- Dark smear marks: Rats have horrible eyesight and usually run along a wall or other solid object to help them reach their destination. After a while, the dirt and oil will start to stain the walls of your home.
- Scratch marks: Rats will scratch and gnaw on almost anything they can get a hold of. Their teeth never stop growing. They need to constantly chew on something to slow down the growth of their teeth.
If you have rats around your property, you may also notice a musty smell in your home or garage. This smell comes from the pheromones that are in their droppings and urine. The more severe the rat infestation is, the more severe the smell will be.
Can Rats In My House Really Make Me Sick?
Rats are filthy animals that can carry and spread a wide range of diseases. In fact, for a long time, people thought that rats were the main cause of the historic bubonic plague that took place in the middle ages; it turns out to have been the fleas that infested the rats that were the actual culprits, though. Some of the illnesses that you actually can catch from having a rat infestation include:
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis
The rats in your home may not be the cause of the next pandemic, but they can still make you and your family sick.
How Rats Find Their Way Into Your Home
Rats are common in homes during the winter. These rodents don't do well in cold temperatures. Once the temperature gets below 50 degrees, rats will try to find a safe and warm place to stay.
Some of the ways that rats can sneak into your home include the following:
- Through the gaps and cracks in the exterior walls
- Through the vents around your home
- Through small openings on your roof
During this time of year, food is also scarce outside, so rats will come inside looking for a viable food source.
The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Rats On Your Property
It can be extremely difficult to get rid of rats on your own. If you are struggling with a rat problem on your Longview property, give us a call today. At Gecko Pest Control, your safety is our number one concern. We work diligently to get rid of the rats quickly so that you and your family are not in harm's way.
What Gecko Pest Control Customers Are Saying
"Love this company. Very professional. All there employees are professional, knowledgeable, helpful and just darn nice!"
"I just wanted to say that y’all have some of the best and kind hearted employees working for Gecko. Landen came out today and went above and beyond to represent the company and who he is as a person. I am very thankful for his hospitality and professionalism. Great team you have!! Proud to be a Gecko customer."
"Ryan did a very thorough job in spraying around the house. He walked the exterior of the house with me to learn my specific needs. He was even very helpful to help move the humming bird feeders before this initial spray. Daren was also very informative I’m explaining the services. They were able to come out the day I called and were prompt arriving."